Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

So today I was baking for Mother's Day (tomorrow) and I had been wanting to make sugar cookies. I found a recipe in Better Home & Gardens: The Ultimate Cookie Book called Sugar Cookie Star Cutouts. Now as you can see I did not make stars, but they came out soft and delicious! I made a change to the recipe on the request of my boyfriend and the fact that I didn't have shortening in the house or enough butter to use instead of shortening. Instead I put a bit of extra butter into the mix as well as some sour cream. Please buy the book for the original recipe (on page 129) :)

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
1/2 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour

Step 1:
In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.Add the sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until combined.

Step 2:
Beat in egg, sour cream, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer, then stir in any remaining flour.

Cover and chill dough for about 1 hour.

Step 3:Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll half the dough at a time, until 1/4" thick. Using your cookie cutter (I used round, but whatever serves your purpose), cut out your dough. Place cutouts on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are firm and bottoms are very light brown. Let stand for 1 minute and then transfer them to a cooling rack.

Once cool, decorate to your desire!

No comments:

Post a Comment